Poplar Bluff shakes off early fumbles, beats Sikeston for homecoming winPOPLAR BLUFF — Neither team could hold onto the football early Friday night but Poplar Bluff held on in the second half to earn a homecoming victory. Six different players scored for the Mules, who overcame three early fumbles and beat Sikeston 47-22 at Mules Stadium...
Malden's Kene Davis scores 7 touchdowns in rout (9/17/21)1MALDEN — Malden’s Kene Davis was nearly unstoppable. Well … technically he was stopped a few times. Davis took nearly every touch for a touchdown as Malden routed Chaffee 54-6 on the Green Wave’s homecoming night. On Malden’s first offensive play of the game, Davis sprinted through a monstrous hole off the side of the offensive line, bounced outside and outran the Chaffee defense for a 71-yard touchdown...
Relentless Dexter pounds away at gritty Bernie defense, wins SCAA battle 3-0 (9/17/21)BERNIE — Relentless was a good way to describe the Dexter volleyball team’s offense Thursday night against Bernie. Six different Bearcats recorded kills, leading their team to a 25-16, 25-11, 25-14 victory over SCAA rival Bernie. “It seems like when we have a balanced offense when everyone's firing, that's when we're at our optimal level,” Dexter coach Starla Pulley said. ...
Poplar Bluff looks to get back on track for homecoming against Sikeston (9/16/21)1It’s homecoming this week for Poplar Bluff High School as the Mules host Sikeston on Friday night. “It’s great for the community and it’s great for the school that we get to have all of our assemblies and everything,” Mules coach David Sievers said...
Gene Bess celebrated for accomplishments as coach, teacher (9/13/21)When the Poplar Bluff Sports Hall of Fame inducted Three Rivers College basketball coach Gene Bess in 1983, he had 370 wins. As decades passed and Bess kept setting records, the irony of the outdated bronze tribute was not lost on the Poplar Bluff community...
Meet the Raiders returns after 2020 absence (9/13/21)Three Rivers College held its annual “Meet the Raiders” night Monday at the Libla Family Sports Complex. The annual event allows fans a chance to meet new Raiders and say hello to returning Raiders. After being canceled last year because of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year was the first as head coach for Alex Wiggs, Brian Bess and Tyler Smith, who were all promoted in 2020...
Malden QB Rylan Bell throws for 300 yards to win home opener (9/10/21)MALDEN — Malden quarterback Rylan Bell left the season-opener against Kennett in the second quarter with a rib injury and threw three interceptions with no touchdowns against Kelly in Week 2. Friday went better. Bell was 16 for 31 passing for 300 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions to lead Malden to a 49-14 win over Charleston in the Green Wave's home opener...
Late runs push Bloomfield past Poplar Bluff (9/10/21)POPLAR BLUFF — Bloomfield and Poplar Bluff came into Thursday’s match both looking for their first set victory on the young season. After the Wildcats opened with a big run to take the opener, they needed late pushes to hold off the host Mules. An 11-3 run gave Bloomfield the second game before the Wildcats closed out the match with consecutive points for a 25-15, 25-22, 25-23 win at the Senior High Gym...
Teal, gigging, archery seasons nearingTwo big hunting seasons and one fishing season are on the cusp of opening in Missouri, one Saturday and two on Wednesday. The first is the early teal season, which runs from Sept. 11-26. If you’d rather hunt teal in Arkansas, the season there runs Sept. 15-30...
Dove season kicks off WednesdayOne of the most highly-anticipated hunting seasons of the year opens next week in Missouri. Dove hunting is so popular, at least for the first couple days, that hunters flock to the area from other regions of the state. The Bootheel region gets the bulk of the hunting pressure for doves, but even the northern reaches of Butler and Stoddard counties can produce good numbers of birds...
Carlson homers twice, Mikolas gets first win in two years (9/17/21)ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Dylan Carlson homered twice, including a grand slam, to help Miles Mikolas win for the first time in two years as the St. Louis Cardinals beat the San Diego Padres 8-2 on Friday night. It was the Cardinals' sixth win in a row and extended their lead for the second wild card spot to 1 1/2 games over San Diego. The Cincinnati Reds beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 3-1 and remain one game back of St. Louis...
Cardinals soar into playoff position behind ageless arms (9/16/21)NEW YORK (AP) -- On the morning of the trade deadline in late July, the St. Louis Cardinals were a .500 team sitting 7 1/2 games outside a playoff spot. Even with new slugger Nolan Arenado at third base, a season that began with big expectations appeared to be slipping away...
Cardinals power past Mets 11-4 for 3-game sweep (9/16/21)NEW YORK (AP) -- After a big night back home, Harrison Bader was munching happily on his postgame meal when it was time to field a few questions. "New York-style pizza is delicious," he said. "New York-style bagels, New York-style pizza, is just good for the soul."...
Cards hold off Mets 7-6 in 11 to move into playoff position (9/15/21)NEW YORK (AP) -- After more than 4 1/2 hours of back-and-forth baseball, the St. Louis Cardinals finally control their playoff fate again. Edmundo Sosa hit the go-ahead single in a three-run 11th inning and the hard-charging Cardinals climbed all the way back into postseason position Tuesday night with a 7-6 victory over the New York Mets...
Wainwright wins 5th straight as Cards deck Mets 7-0 (9/14/21)NEW YORK (AP) -- Adam Wainwright won his fifth straight start in a rare matchup of 40-year-old pitchers, and the St. Louis Cardinals blanked the New York Mets 7-0 on Monday night. Paul Goldschmidt homered and had two RBIs for the surging Cardinals, who have won five of six. St. Louis is tied with San Diego at 74-69, a half-game behind Cincinnati for the second NL wild card...
FROM THE AP WIRE
- Rays place CF Kevin Kiermaier on COVID-19 related IL
- Zdeno Chara, 44, returning to Islanders on 1-year contract
- Broberg sets course record again with 61 at Dutch Open
- Young, stacked US team faces familiar battle in Ryder Cup
- In 4th decade playing Ryder Cup, Garcia still going strong
- This Date in Baseball
- Seahawks-Titans heads Week 2 games with 2020 playoff teams
- LEADING OFF: Scherzer unbeaten with Dodgers, faces Reds
- Petrino's late FG lifts Maryland over Illinois 20-17
- Late interception return for TD lifts Louisville past UCF
- Wheeler, Phillies hold off Mets 4-3 to boost playoff hopes
- Pinch-hitter pitcher Gausman sac fly in 11th, SF tops Braves
- A's keep pace in wild-card race with 5-4 win over Angels
- Carlson, Mikolas help Cards top Padres in wild-card showdown
- Petrino's late FG lifts Maryland over Illinois 20-17
- Diamondbacks lose 100th of season, fall 4-3 to Astros
- Liberty stay alive in playoff hunt
- Kelenic 2 HRs off newcomer Heasley, Mariners beat Royals 6-2
- Loyd ties record, scores 36, Storm top Mercury to get bye
- Rockies score 2 in 9th, beat Nats 9-8 for 4th straight win
- Brewers rally to top Cubs 8-5, move closer to division title
- White Sox blank Rangers 8-0 as magic number drops to 5
- Phillips homers in 10th as Rays rally to beat Tigers 7-4
- Sale returns, Red Sox send Orioles to loss No. 100, 7-1
- Kluber beats Indians, Gallo homers twice as Yanks win 8-0
- Crowe's five solid innings lead Pirates over Marlins
- Guerrero hits 46th HR, but Twins hit 3 in row, top Blue Jays
- Allmendinger slides past Cindric to steal Bristol win, title
- McNealy holes out for eagle on last, leads at Silverado
- Two-way star Shohei Ohtani to pitch Sunday for Angels
- Castillo outdoes Buehler, Reds end Dodgers' win streak at 6
- Jin Young Ko shoots 5-under 67 to take Portland Classic lead
- Jets throw support to N.J. high school hit hard by Ida
- Aces rout Sky 103-70, clinch second seed
- John and Britttany Force top Carolina Nationals qualifying
- Liberty keep alive playoff hopes with 91-80 win over Mystics
- At long last, Ballmer, Clippers break ground on new home
- Austin Peay announces it's leaving OVC for ASUN in July 2022
- O'Ward says IndyCar championship is Alex Palou's to lose
- Ravens put CB Chris Westry on IR after knee injury
- College Football Hall of Fame DT Roger Brown dies at 84
- Packers placing OLB Za'Darius Smith on IR due to back issue
- Sign of times: Jets defense out to eliminate explosive plays
- Chargers look to deal Cowboys first 0-2 start since 2010
- Chargers place OL Bulaga on injured reserve, sign Schofield
- Titans bring back kicker Ryan Santoso to practice squad
- Former roommates Bosa, Elliott ready to face each other
- College roommates Brown, Metcalf ready for teams to clash
- Steelers, Raiders going for a 2-0 start after Week 1 rallies
- Steelers, Raiders hoping to prove Week 1 wins were no fluke