COLUMN: Pujols' HOF career spanned 21 years, 700 home runs and saw baseball changeIt's almost a foregone conclusion that Albert Pujols will have a plaque in Cooperstown, most likely with a St. Louis Cardinals hat. Hard to argue with 700 home runs, a feat only three other men (give or take a certain slugger who may or may not have used steroids) have done before in the history of Major League Baseball — and The Machine is the first Latin-born player to do so...
Tigers continue hot stretch with win over RedbirdsBy ROBERT AUGSDORFER Sports Writer NEELYVILLE – Area softball teams have been hearing Neelyville roar all season long and the latest team was East Carter on Thursday as the Tigers took a 12-2 win on their home turf and swept the fall season series over the Redbirds...
Game plan for Doniphan FB is simple: Wear you down (9/29/22)The Doniphan High School football squad scored 18 points in a recent loss at Dexter, which may not sound like much, but the fact is, that number is the most the Dons had scored in seven outings.
Notre Dame uses strong pitching, big third inning to outscore Poplar Bluff (9/29/22)By ROBERT AUGSDORFER Sports Writer POPLAR BLUFF – Notre Dame made the trip from Cape Girardeau to take on their SEMO Conference rivals and were able to put the bat on the ball for a hit 14 times en route to a 9-2 win over Poplar Bluff on Wednesday. Notre Dame has won both regular season meetings with the Mules this fall and the Bulldogs have won nine consecutive games...
Neelyville holds off Naylor in OFC matchup (9/28/22)NAYLOR – Two Ozark Foothills Conference rivals duked it out on the baseball field on Tuesday, but Neelyville proved to be the better team as the Tigers held off the Eagles in a 11-6 road win. "It's a big conference win," Neelyville coach Gary Dubar said. "(Austin Sheppard) threw the ball well for us. He got through five innings in 60 pitches."...
Twin Rivers comes from behind in late innings to topple Greenville (9/27/22)GREENVILLE – Despite being down by five, Twin Rivers completed the comeback tying the game up in the sixth and two runs scored on a squeeze play in the seventh as the Royals upset Greenville on their home turf with a 7-5 win on Monday. "We didn't play well to start out (Monday), but the guys kept battling and stuck with the approach," Twin Rivers coach Chris Newman said. "We found a way to get it done late in the game."...
Dexter runs past Doniphan in home W (9/24/22)DEXTER - First-year Dexter High School football coach Chad Jamerson dreams of winning games by being more physical and pounding the ball continuously through opposing defenses.
Poplar Bluff gains confidence, and yards, in first win (9/24/22)SIKESTON — After four games of struggling to find the end zone, the Poplar Bluff football team was able to punch it in Thursday night. Makel McFarland ran for a pair of 6-yard scores, Chris Matlock caught a pair of passes from Mason West for long touchdowns as the Mules earned their first win of the season, 35-2 at Sikeston...
MDC encourages turkey hunters to submit fall feathersThe Missouri Department of Conservation is asking Missouri turkey hunters to save and submit feathers from birds they harvest this fall for a research project that will improve the ability to estimate turkey abundance across Missouri. Hunters who successfully harvest a turkey during either the Archery Deer and Turkey Season or Fall Firearms Turkey Season can voluntarily submit feathers from their turkey at no cost...
MDC shares key info for deer seasonThe Missouri Department of Conservation wants deer hunters to know some key information for harvesting whitetails in Missouri this season. Deer hunting opens Thursday with the archery season, which runs through Nov. 11 and then again from Nov. 23 through Jan. 15, 2023. The two firearms youth portions occur on Oct. 29-30 and Nov. 25-27. The firearms November portion runs Nov. 12-22. The antlerless portion runs Dec. 3-11. The alternative-methods portion runs Dec. 24 through Jan. 3, 2023...
Brewers boost playoff hopes with 5-1 victory over Cardinals (9/28/22)MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Brandon Woodruff struck out 10 over six scoreless innings and Devin Williams delivered four big outs late to boost the Milwaukee Brewers' playoff hopes with a 5-1 victory over the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday night. The victory, Milwaukee's first since last Saturday at Cincinnati, combined with the Phillies' loss to the Cubs in Chicago moved the Brewers within a half-game of Philadelphia for the third and final NL wild-card spot with seven to play...
Evolving Blues still a threat to champion Avalanche in West (9/28/22)Meet the 2022 Blues, not the same as the old group from 2019 that won the Stanley Cup. Sure, there are some holdovers, from fiery goaltender Jordan Binnington to tough, talented two-way center Ryan O'Reilly and big defenseman Colton Parayko. But St. Louis now has more speed and skill -- and that makes it a threat to win the Western Conference...
Cardinals clinch NL Central title by beating Brewers 6-2 (9/27/22)MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The St. Louis Cardinals finally separated themselves from the Milwaukee Brewers in early August after chasing them for much of the season. They haven't looked back since, turning what had been a nip-and-tuck NL Central race into something of a runaway...
Grove helps Dodgers beat Cardinals 4-1 to clinch top NL seed (9/25/22)LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Will Smith had two hits and Michael Grove pitched five solid innings to pick up his first career victory as the Los Angeles Dodgers clinched the No. 1 overall seed in the National League with 4-1 win over the St. Louis Cardinals on Sunday...
Vargas hits 1st homer, Dodgers bounce back to beat Cards 6-2 (9/25/22)LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Miguel Vargas was already excited after hitting his first major league home run Saturday night. Then the Los Angeles Dodgers first baseman got another big thrill when he was congratulated by Albert Pujols. The veteran St. Louis slugger gave his regards to the rookie after getting aboard with a base hit during the fifth inning of the Dodgers' 6-2 victory over the Cardinals...
DAR Sport Topics audio
FROM THE AP WIRE
- Sampson strong again as Cubs beat Reds for 5th straight win
- Top prospect Alvarez excited for opportunity with Mets
- NFL's handling of concussions questioned after Tua's injury
- Adam Scott says LIV Golf not 'pure evil' for the game
- Hoskins homers, Phillies end skid in 5-1 win over Nationals
- Saints coach Allen gets 2nd chance in London against Vikings
- Saints try to snap 2-game skid in London clash with Vikings
- Pats' visit to Lambeau offers rare Rodgers-Belichick matchup
- Patriots face Packers with Hoyer at QB for injured Jones
- Wilson returns as Jets visit Watt-less Steelers
- Path for Jets' Conklin went from hoop dreams to NFL catches
- Pats QB Jones ruled out vs. Packers despite practice return
- Za'Darius Smith questionable for Vikings v. Saints in London
- Charley Hull with 8 birdies posts 64 to take lead in Texas
- Dolphins' Tagovailoa has concussion, no timeline for return
- College athletics sees surge in nonprofits paying players
- Browns' Garrett: Crash a 'wake-up' call, grateful to survive
- Air Force's high-powered ground game runs on 'Diesel'
- Bears-Giants pits two of the bigger surprises early in 2022
- Giants and Bears are among the top surprises early in 2022
- NASCAR drivers fuming over concussions suffered in new car
- Winston doubtful, Dalton ready for Saints against Vikings
- After Burrow says relax, Bengals pull off 2 wins in 5 days
- NBA returning briefly to Seattle; questions of future loom
- Bills, Ravens meet in matchup of 2 of NFL's top offenses
- Falcons brace for visit from Chubb, ground-pounding Browns
- Rhule 'very hopeful' McCaffrey will play vs Cardinals
- Chubb, Browns face 'heavyweight' run test against Falcons
- SMU-UCF rescheduled again due to impact of Hurricane Ian
- AP source: Celtics agree to terms with big man Blake Griffin
- Lightning donate $2 million to Hurricane Ian relief efforts
- Parma Ladies Open semifinals postponed to same day as final
- Harden knows he's no longer the man in Philadelphia
- Mansell resists bad weather to lead Dunhill Links by 2
- Verstappen could clinch 2nd F1 title if he wins Singapore GP
- African basketball future bright despite winless World Cup
- Wiseman stars as Warriors, Wizards open preseason in Tokyo
- IOC's Bach eyes return to sports for anti-war Russians
- PGA Tour countersuit accuses LIV Golf of unfair tactics
- Verstappen could clinch 2nd F1 title if he wins Singapore GP
- This Date in Baseball-Roger Maris hits his 61st home run
- US runs past Canada into World Cup gold-medal game
- China tops host Australia 61-59 to reach gold-medal game
- AP source: Mets calling up top prospect Alvarez vs Braves
- Hines Ward's path to becoming NFL head coach starts in XFL
- North Americans in Russia's KHL face difficult decisions
- Explainer: Tua Tagovailoa, fencing response and NFL protocol
- Martinez homers, Red Sox beat Orioles in 3rd straight, 5-3
- Mariners outlast Rangers in 11, close in on playoff berth
- Ohtani has no-hitter broken up in 8th, Angels beat A's