Fire reports - Sept. 14

Monday, September 14, 2020

City firefighters responded at 4:49 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, to assist emergency-medical-services personnel with lifting a patient at 2023 Arkansas Ave.

_

City firefighters responded at 2:54 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, to a report of a structure fire at 2065 Iron Bridge Road.

According to the report, firefighters found light smoke coming from a crawl space under the home.

The occupant reported there had been a fire in an utility room, which he put out using a garden hose.

Firefighters found what appeared to be old fire damage to a small area of sheetrock in the utility room, which had been sprayed with water. The discolored area of sheetrock reportedly looked like it was caused by the soldering of a copper wire fitting near the area.

Upon entering the crawl space underneath the house, firefighters found a railroad tie smoldering and causing smoke. Firefighters removed the railroad tie into the yard and put out the smoldering spot with a water hose.

Firefighters used a positive-pressure-ventilation fan to remove smoke from the crawl space.

_

City firefighters responded at 7:39 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, to an alarm at the John J. Pershing VA Medical Center, 1500 N. Westwood Blvd. It was investigation only.

_

City firefighters responded at 7:36 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 12, to an alarm at the Poplar Bluff Regional Center, 2513 Sunset Terrace.

_

City firefighters responded at 11:19 a.m. Friday, Sept. 11, to a motor-vehicle crash at 749 N. Westwood Blvd.

According to the report, firefighters used Hydrobreak to remove fluids from the road.

_

City firefighters responded at 8:21 a.m. Friday, Sept. 11, to a strange odor in the hallway and three classrooms at the Poplar Bluff Junior High School, 550 N. Westwood Blvd.

According to the report, firefighters used a multigas meter to check the hallway and classrooms, but nothing was found.

_

City firefighters responded at 8:19 a.m. Friday, Sept. 11, to an alarm at the Poplar Bluff Regional Center, 2513 Sunset Terrace. It was investigation only.

_

City firefighters responded at 7:20 a.m. Friday, Sept. 11, to a report of a kitchen fire at the Poplar Bluff Alternative School, 1235 N. Main St.

According to the report, firefighters found a double oven in the kitchen with its electrical panel arching and smoking.

Firefighters cut the power to the appliance and dissembled the panel to make sure the fire inside was extinguished.

The Butler County Health Department was contacted to inspect the kitchen.

_