Fire reports - Nov. 12

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

City firefighters responded at 5:07 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 12, to a report of a smoke in the 1231 Grand Ave. residence occupied by Charlene Arnold and owned by Stephanie McCain.

According to the report, firefighters found light smoke in the residence and found the furnace in the basement was overheating.

Firefighters shut off the power to the furnace and remained on the scene until it cooled down.

_

City firefighters responded at 8:19 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11, to a report of a structure fire at the 1505 Haven Hills residence owned by Larry Earley.

According to the report, firefighters saw sparks and embers coming from the chimney. Earley reportedly was trying to cool the fire in the fireplace by squirting it with water.

Firefighters accessed the roof next to the chimney so they could dump a fire extinguishing agent from the top of the chimney to put out any fire in it.

Firefighters also used five gallons of water to put out the wood burning in the fireplace and then used a metal bucket to carry the smoldering wood and ashes outside.

After putting out the fire, firefighters told Early to not light another fire in the fireplace until it was inspected, and the flue was cleaned.

_

County firefighters responded at 7:39 p.m. Monday, Nov. 11, to a carbon-monoxide detector sounding at the 3029 N. 14th St. residence owned by Larry Tackett. It was investigation only.