Ark. CWD meetings set
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. -- Eleven public meetings will be held throughout the state May 24 and May 26 to discuss chronic wasting disease and the regulations being proposed by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission in an effort to manage the disease.
To date, 82 cases of CWD have been found in Arkansas deer and four more in elk. Currently, the disease has been detected in four counties: Newton, Madison, Pope and Boone. The AGFC continues to collect roadkill samples statewide to send off for testing out of state.
Public meetings will be held May 24 in Jonesboro, Monticello, Hot Springs, Russellville, Fayetteville and at the AGFC headquarters in Little Rock. Meetings on May 26 will be held at Brinkley, Camden, Hope, Fort Smith and Mountain Home.
An additional public meeting will be held on May 19 at Jasper, near where the first reports of CWD surfaced. One public meeting on May 24 and one on May 26 will be streamed live on the AGFC's website, www.agfc.com.
The AGFC also has scheduled a one-hour broadcast on AETN at 8 p.m., May 23, with a panel discussion about CWD. The agency also will be sending CWD information and deer season regulation proposals by email to the state's licensed hunters.
May 24, 6-8 p.m.
* Nettleton Public School, Nettleton Performing Arts Center, 4201 Chieftan Lane, Jonesboro
* University of Arkansas at Monticello Fine Arts Center, University Drive, Monticello
* National Park College, Fredrick Dierks Center for Nursing and Health Sciences, Eisele Auditorium, 101 College Drive, Hot Springs
* Arkansas Tech University, Doc Bryan Student Services Center, 1605 Coliseum Drive, Lecture Hall, Russellville
* University of Arkansas, Pauline Whitaker Animal Science Center, 1335 West Knapp, Fayetteville
* AGFC Headquarters, 2 National Resources Drive, Little Rock
May 26, 6-8 p.m.
* Camden Fairview High School, Little Theater Auditorium, 1750 Cash Road, Camden
* Brinkley Convention Center, 1501 Weatherby Drive, Brinkley
* Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center, 8300 Wells Lake Road, Fort Smith
* Hope Fair Park Community Center, 800 South Mockingbird Lane, Hope
* Mountain Home High School, Dunbar Auditorium, 500 Bomber Boulevard, Mountain Home.