- The power of online presence (6/3/23)
- A Legacy of Love: The gift of life lives on through organ donation (5/13/23)
- We have a youth mental health crisis (5/6/23)
- The heartbeat of a community — local newspapers, journalism (4/22/23)
- Step out of your comfort zone (4/8/23)
- Poplar Bluff needs family shelter (4/1/23)
- A young person still resides here (3/18/23)
Move forward with appreciation
In life it seems, at one point or another, we all experience great loss or tragedy. These heartaches are the inevitable consequence of our mortality. We cannot erase pain and heartache, we can only fill up the empty spaces that are left and hope it’s enough to soften the burdens we endure.
The importance of being gentle with yourself during the healing process is stressed by those in the mental health profession, but life, in my opinion, is a constant cycle of healing.
I for one have found my solace in music, but sought it in many places before landing where I have. This doesn’t mean I don’t still struggle.
There are days I feel nothing can hold me down, I am strong, capable and determined. Then there are days I feel like bursting into tears for no reason; I just have an underlying and overwhelming sadness at times. There are days I struggle to make myself presentable for the world; do I really need make up? There are days I feel sorry for myself, yes there are those days, but the universe always finds a way to remind me of my blessings and return me to a grateful attitude.
It has taken me many years of life to realize that my mindset ultimately creates my environment. Living in negativity will only invite more of the same.
Since my recent move, I have made a conscious decision to be more positive, to accept that tragedy and heartache touches the lives of everyone at some point and to move forward with (patience) hope and appreciation for the possibilities of life, love and future.
Misty DeJournette is a staff writer at the Daily American Republic. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting a comment requires free registration:
- If you already have an account, follow this link to login
- Otherwise, follow this link to register